SEATTLE CRIMINAL DEFENSE LAWYER

Sunday, September 13, 2009

WHAT CONSTITUTES A "DEADLY WEAPON " BY LAW?

In Washington State, a deadly weapon can really be any object. It does not matter so much what the object is as the way you use the object. The Washington statute that defines “deadly weapon” says that a deadly weapon is anything that is likely to produce death, is readily capable of producing death or is likely to produce death from the manner in which it is used. The statute lists certain items that are deadly weapons per se- that is, objects that are automatically considered to be deadly weapons by law. These items include, knives with blades longer than 3 inches, daggers, slingshots, explosives, brass knuckles, razors, and firearms. The prosecutor does not need to prove that these items are readily capable of or likely to produce death; the court will presume that these items are deadly weapons.

But what if there is an assault and someone used a pocket knife with a blade less than 3 inches? Is that a deadly weapon? The answer depends on how it was used. Was it used just as intimidation or did the a person using the knife stab another person in an area of the body that would likely cause death. What if the pocket knife was folded shut? Is it a deadly weapon then? I worked on the appeal of a robbery case that presented this very issue. The trial court had found that because the knife could readily be opened, it fit the definition of deadly weapon under Washington State law.

While working at the California Innocence Project in San Diego, I came across a case in which an inmate was convicted of assault with a deadly weapon after stabbing a prison guard with a pencil. In Washington, we could get the same result under our statute defining “deadly weapon.” Depending on how you use it, even a pencil can be considered a deadly weapon.

All of this is important in determining the degree of the crime that the prosecutor will charge a person with, which in turn, determines the sentence a person will receive if convicted. If you are charged with a simple assault for shoving someone, it is normally 4th degree assault, which is a gross misdemeanor and punishable up to no more than 1 year in the county jail. If you happen to use anything that is considered to be a deadly weapon while shoving another person, it could be charged as 2nd degree assault, which is a class B felony, punishable up to 10 years in state prison. This is a huge difference.

You could also get extra time added to your sentence with a deadly weapon enhancement. Similar results occur with regard to the crimes of burglary and robbery. The police and the prosecutors have a lot of room to allege that virtually any object in your possession during the incident is considered a deadly weapon. It all depends on the specific facts of the case and how the object was used in the incident.

28 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! a fantastic post dude. Thanks Nevertheless My business is experiencing issue with ur rss . Don’t know why Not able to sign up for it. Possibly there is any person obtaining identical rss difficulty? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx Elia & Ponto

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always was concerned in this subject and stock still am, regards for posting . www.gpwlaw-mi.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good points you wrote here..Great stuff...I think you've made some truly interesting points.Keep up the good work. california lemon law

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work! personal injury claims

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I can express is, I don’t know what to comment! Except needless to say, for the excellent tips which have been shared on this blog. I can think of a zillion fun approaches to read the posts on this site. There’s no doubt that I will at last take a step making use of your tips on areas I could not have been able to handle alone. You had been so innovative to let me be one of those to profit from your beneficial information. Please know how significantly I enjoy the whole thing. helpful hints

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great article, thanks. I signed up to your blog rss feed. look at this web-site

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for sharing all of the awesome info! I am looking forward to checking out more posts! look at this web-site

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see that you are using WordPress on your blog, wordpress is the best.*:~-” read this article

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quickly and easily build your web traffic and PR, which provides Web site visitors to add your page to any social bookmarking website. look at this web-site

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear it seems as if your site Going Home Posted Stitches consumed my first remark it’s rather extensive we think We’ll simply sum it up the things i submitted and state, I really relishing your website. I as well am an ambitious blog writer but I’m still a new comer to the whole thing. Do you possess any kind of tips and hints regarding inexperienced bloggers! I truly really enjoy it… In addition did you hear Tunisia incredible announcement… Regards Flash Website Builder read this article

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like this website it's a master piece! Glad I found this on google. look at this web-site

    ReplyDelete
  12. Keep up the fantastic piece of work, I read few blog posts on this web site and I believe that your site is real interesting and has lots of great information. more information

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great info many thanks sharing and reaching us your subscriber list. more information

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was reading some of your content on this website and I conceive this internet site is really informative ! Keep on putting up. more tips here

    ReplyDelete
  15. Keep up the fantastic piece of work, I read few blog posts on this web site and I believe that your site is real interesting and has lots of great information read the article.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome blog you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any forums that cover the same topics talked about here? I’d really like to be a part of group where I can get suggestions from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Bless you! look at this web-site

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome post , I am going to spend more time researching this topic look at this web-site

    ReplyDelete
  18. I’m having a little issue I cant subscribe your feed, I’m using google reader fyi. look at this web-site

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome blog you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any forums that cover the same topics talked about here? I’d really like to be a part of group where I can get suggestions from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Bless you read review!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It’s really a nice and helpful piece of info. I’m glad that you just shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing. my site

    ReplyDelete
  21. Spot on with this write-up, I truly assume this website wants much more consideration. probably be again to read much more, thanks for that info. look at this web-site

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is an excellent article and I totally understand where your coming from in the third section. Perfect read, I’ll regularly follow the other reads. helpful resources

    ReplyDelete
  23. I discovered your blog internet site on bing and appearance several of your early posts. Preserve up the very good operate. I just now additional the RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Seeking toward reading far more on your part down the road!… my sources

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really want to thank you for yet another great informative post, I’m a loyal visitor to this blog and I can’t say how much valuable tips I’ve learned from reading your content. I really appreciate all the hard work you put into this great blog. my sources

    ReplyDelete
  25. I the efforts you have put in this, appreciate it for all the great posts . more info here

    ReplyDelete
  26. the most common table lamp these days still use incandescent lamp but some of them use compact fluorescent lamps which are cool to touch.. my site

    ReplyDelete